Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Favorite Lunch

Now that school is out and I have settled into a new, slower-paced study routine, I have made a point of putting some effort into my meals. I love to cook, but the stress of school tends to mean that I settle for less elaborate and more freezer-friendly meals from September to April. While I had the intention of making my favorite lunch alllll year, the chopping-intensive preparation deterred me-- until this week.

I bought the summer-fresh ingredients and set out to make my favorite lunch: lentil-bulgur salad. If the name freaks you out, I'm sorry. But you truly could not ask for a healthier, more protein- and vitamin- packed single-bowl dish. The colorful veggies make it especially tasty. I go heavy on the fresh mint, splurge on good olives and feta, and roast my walnuts to perfection. I find a big batch keeps well for about five days in the fridge, if you leave out the tomatoes.

Zoom the picture to read the recipe, from Mollie Katzen's The Moosewood Cookbook.


Bon appétit!

2 comments:

  1. You must’ve missed cooking a lot! It really feels great when you are able to cook your own meal, after having to eat fastfood and ready-to-eat dishes for a long while! That, and you can tweak the dish according to your preferences, something you're not really at full control during takeouts and such. Anyway, your lunch really looks yummy! Just perfect to munch in during summer! Cheers!

    Mae Tyler @ St. Andrew Poultry

    ReplyDelete