Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday Soup Day

After being called 'Kinsey Broccoli-head' for years, affectionately by some and not so much by others, I feel the name can finally be put to good use. Tonight I made broccoli soup for the first time. (!!!!) I like to think I'm somewhat domestic but those of you who know me are likely to agree that that's a bit of a stretch... Nonetheless, I have the gloves; and despite a few set-backs, the outcome was definitely blog and tastebud-worthy, if I do say so myself. Here ya go!

                                                                     Ingredients                                                                      
2 tablespoons butter 
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 cups, chicken broth
4 heads of broccoli florets 

For the roux-thickener
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (mmmm milk) 
* ground pepper to taste


What to do: 
1. Chop everything up and prepare to saute the onion & celery until 'tender'- weird word to describe vegetables but whatevs. 
*Confession: I may have neglected to actually read the recipe, and excitedly dumped the celery and onion right into the broth before sautéing them. Okay, so that might have been a bit of set-back and Katie may have walked in as I was doing that but not to worry, we got it all sorted out (literally). Onto the next step. 



 2. After your onion and celery are 'tender', add the chicken broth and broccoli. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.


 3. While everything is simmering, you're going to need to make the roux. (I'd never heard of this before either, but now we both know.) Anyway, in a saucepan, over medium-heat, melt the butter, and add the flour, milk, and pepper 'to taste'. Stir until thick and bubbly.


4. Before you add the roux-thickener to the soup, you've gotta blend everything. If you don't have one of these handy-hand blenders, pour it all into a blender or magic bullet, (if you're lucky enough to have one of those), and puree it up. 
*Confession #2: Last year I was making cookies and the recipe said to use a hand MIXER and we didn't have one so I thought using the hand BLENDER was genius...  I quickly realized my mistake, however, as chocolate chips and oatmeal flew across the kitchen. Boy was that a mess. 


 5. Add the roux-thickener to the pureed vegetables; stir it up, serve, and enjoy! 


P.S Here's a sample of my playlist! We're gearing up for the Joshua Radin concert happening next weekend in Montreal, (when the boys are here!), so we constantly have the songs of repeat. Post to come!
 


xoxo, DG 
Or BH ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment