Monday, November 26, 2012

Soupesoup

Today I handed in the last of my course work for the semester and figured it was time to celebrate. My dear friend Paula, who I'm currently taking 3 out of 5 courses with, (best study partner ever, seriously), came over for dinner and a craft night. Paula and I have sort of started this Monday night tradition...in the loosest sense of the word, (given that this is only our second time and we had to skip a week), of getting together for dinner and trying new recipes. (In yet another effort to domesticate ourselves.)

Last year my mom got me a 'blue cheese' themed calendar and it's been hanging in our kitchen for almost a year now. Today I decided to make one of the recipes of the month and it turned out really well! :) 

{Roasted Tomato, Garlic, and Basil Soup with Blue Croûtes}

{Ingredients}

Serves 4
Generous 1kg medium sized tomatoes
6 cloves of garlic-skin on
Olive oil for drizzling and brushing
250 ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
Good bunch of basil leaves
Seasonings (I used thyme, oregano, salt & freshly ground pepper as per Katie's recommendation)
Extra creamy blue cheese

{Directions}

1.Preheat over to 375*F
2. Cut tomatoes in half and lay cut side up on baking trays. Scatter the garlic cloves amongst the tomatoes- skin still on. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 20-25 mins until well cooked. 
3. When slightly cooled, scrape all the tomatoes into a food processor, (or stock pot if you plan to use a hand mixer like I did) slit the skins of the garlic cloves and squeeze flesh into the tomatoes and blend until smooth. Add sufficient vegetable stock to give a good pouring consistency, finally whirl in the basil leaves and seasonings. 
4. Meanwhile, brush the bread slices with olive oil on both sides and place on a baking tray. Bake in oven until just golden on under side, turn all slices and top with cheese cut into slices. 
5. To serve– reheat soup (or let it simmer) and return croûtes to oven just to melt the cheese. Check soup for seasoning and stir in a little cheese just before serving with the croûtes.


This photo montage only took me 45 minutes....

No comments:

Post a Comment